Monday, June 18, 2007

Log #3: Biking, and its effect on my grundle


I got up this morning at 6:00 am (which sucks btw) and made it over to the gym. Mondays are technically a day off from training, but since I blew off doing any form of exercise this weekend (except for wiffle ball and drinking... at the same time) I figured I should do SOMETHING to burn a few calories. I ended up trying out a cross-training excercise recommended by the book I'm using. It was basically a moderate 45 minute workout on a stationary bike. I have never... I repeat, NEVER ridden a stationary bike for that long. My legs were only a little sore afterwards, but the grundle / taint / chode was very unhappy after the workout. Google the word "grundle" if you're not sure what it means. I wonder if a few more bike workouts will help me develop a thicker / less sensitive taint. Tomorrow will be my first speed workout, which should be interesting. I'm supposed to do this:

10-20 minute warmup
3 x 1600m @ 6:41 pace w/ 1 minute rest
10 minute cooldown


(Just FYI, 1609.3 meters is a mile, so running 1600m at 6:41 pace is about a 6:45 minute/mile.)

So that's, conservatively, a 50 minute workout. In reality it will take me an hour since I will DEFINITELY need more than 1 minute to rest after busting out a 6:41 mile. The odds of me hitting 6:41 three times in a row on my first try are very close to zero.

Wish me luck.

No comments: