Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Log #4: Exploding Chest

My first speed workout was excruciating.  I didn't manage to finish all 3 of the 1600m splits I was supposed to.  Here's what I managed:

20 minute warmup
1600m @ 6:40 (success!)
800m @ 3:20
800m @ 3:20
10 minute cooldown

There's always mental pressure to stop running once it gets uncomfortable, but I was ready for that so I pressed on.  The problem was that I literally felt like my chest was going to pop.  I might have been able to finish the 2nd split, but then I would have been lying on the ground on the verge of passing out and my legs would probably have cramped up very badly.  

My hope is that by doing this workout once a week until the program officially starts will get me in shape to actually run all three 1600m splits in the goal time.  Tomorrow is cross-training... the rowing machine.  My legs need a break.

No comments: