Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Random things about marathon training you probably don't know...

1. You have to replace your shoes every 150-200 300-400 miles you run. This is about 6-8 weeks for me, so I'll buy 3 pairs of shoes before I run this marathon. (Note: I tend to wear out shoes faster than 300-400 miles. I'm not sure why, but it could be my form, my weight, who knows? When the shoes lose their "bounce" they're dead so I replace them.

2. Your immune system gets mad at you. You'd think all this running would make you HEALTHIER, but no... I actually get a lot more colds when I train.

3. Overtraining is not what you think it is. Overtraining happens when you train too hard, too fast, without giving your body time to build up the endurance you need. I did this last year when training for this same marathon. I assumed overtraining would feel like my muscles being really sore, and a general "pooped" feeling. Actually, you feel ok but you just can NOT run for more than 5 minutes without getting out of breath. I also had incredible trouble sleeping, to the point where I thought I had insomnia. My mood also sucked. I finally did some research and figured out I was overtraining. I took 2 weeks off and was fine after that.

4. You have to eat all the time. I try to do the 5-6 small meals thing, but generally I'm just eating a million powerbars throughout the week in between meals. I still lost 25 pounds last year.

5. Your nipples can, and will bleed if you're not careful. Just put bandaids over them if you're running over 5 miles and you should be fine. If you don't do this... well then your nipples are gonna bleed. I warned you.

6. After a marathon you get "post-marathon depression." If you think about it, it makes sense. You dedicate months of your life to pursue this enormous goal, and then you do it, feel an amazing sense of accomplishment, and then there's an empty feeling like, "now what?" This is why I'm running another marathon. I think I'm addicted... it's awful.

7. You have to wear spandex... it's that simple. If you choose to go with looser fitting running shorts, I give you my word you will regret it. Two words: Chafed Taint. I won't mince any words here.

8. Red bull is your friend. (or at least my friend)

3 comments:

LTC Super Jew said...

I think I've overtrained myself. I've been trying to run for the past week, and I just can't get my lungs to go along with it. I'm getting tired too fast.

JWU said...

Shoes DO NOT need to be replaced every 150-200 miles. I am not sure who told you that, but the range is more typically 300-400 miles. Lighter runners (<160#) many times get 500 miles out of their shoes.

About the only shoes that provide anywhere near 150 miles are very lightweight racing flats or performance trainers.

Joey Korenman said...

The 150-200 miles comes from my own experience. At the runner's shop where I get my running shoes, the employees told me 300 miles, however after around 200 I have noticed that the insoles in my shoes are totally flat. Maybe my form is bad and that's causing them to wear down faster. I'm 5'6" and weight 170 pounds, so that may have something to do with it as well. I've had shoes for 300-400 miles, but they usually feel awful by that point. Maybe I should revise the post to be more specific. Thanks for the comment!