Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Log #7: Bike = Friend

The bike was my friend today. I did a pretty tough 45 minute workout and it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as it has been. I like the bike because you can read, listen to music, watch TV, and basically zone out for the whole workout. It's a nice break from running which requires all of your attention.

I'm also trying to get in the habit of eating small meals in between the 3 big ones. Today I had a PB&J around 11:00. When I add in these little meals I tend to eat a lot less for lunch and dinner, and I also have more energy. Eating the 5 smaller meals also keeps your metabolism cranked all day long instead of having huge peaks and valleys like it does when you binge 3 times a day. It feels like I'm eating more, but I suspect I'm eating a little less than I would if I stuck with 3 meals.

Tomorrow is tempo run day. Here's the plan:

2 mile warmup @ 8:30
2 mile tempo @ 7:14
2 mile cooldown @ 8:30


I tried this in Texas last week and it was a disaster. I think I might actually do this workout on the treadmill, just to make my legs do it once so I know how it feels. Running on the treadmill is great to get a sense of what it's like to run at a certain pace, but out in the real world it's much harder to make your legs move when the ground doesn't move for you.

No comments: