Thursday, July 12, 2007

Log #11: 3-Speed Legs

I learned something today: My legs have 3 speeds.

The first speed is KINDA SLOW, which is how I do my long runs. If I'm running an 8:00 - 8:15 mile, I feel like I'm just kinda jogging along, just keepin' it real.

The second speed is KINDA FAST, which is what a "lactate threshold" run is done at. For me it's between 7:10-7:45 minute miles.

The third speed is SLOW THE F*** DOWN!!!, which is what I do my speed workouts at.

By FAR... hands down... the hardest speed to run at is KINDA FAST. That might surprise you. The reason is thus:

When I'm running KINDA SLOW, even if it's for 20 miles, it's just jogging. I don't even really get out of breath running this speed.

When I'm running SLOW THE F*** DOWN speed, I know that I'm only running a mile, maybe a mile and a half at the most.

KINDA FAST, however, is reserved for the mid-distance runs (6-10 miles). Keeping up this kind of exhertion for that long really takes its toll on you mentally and physically.

I've completed the speed workout for the 3:30 training program, I know I can do the long run, but this lactate threshold run just slays me. Here's what I was supposed to do today:

2 miles @ 8:30
2 miles @ 7:14 (lactate threshold)
2 miles @ 8:30


Here's what I think I did... my GPS wasn't set right so I'm estimating here.

2 miles @ 8:30
2 miles @ around 7:20... maybe 7:30 counting the stops and water gulps at traffic lights
2 miles at 9:00-9:30 while complaining and grunting


Not so bad, but I definitely have found my weak spot. I need to train hard at this tempo so I can get good at running KINDA FAST. Tomorrow is a cross-training Friday followed by a Stephen King movie... it IS Friday the 13th tomorrow.

No comments: