Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Log #14: Row, Row, Row Your Boat

This morning I got up and did a very tough rowing machine workout. It went like this:

5 minutes easy
1 minute hard
1 minute easy
2 minutes hard
1 minute easy
3 minutes hard
1 minute easy
4 minutes hard
1 minute easy
3 minutes hard
1 minute easy
2 minutes hard
1 minute easy
1 minute hard
3 minutes easy

TOTAL: 30 Minutes


Now, 30 minutes may not seem like a lot, but try doing it. The rowing machine seems to work a TON of muscles at the same time, so fatigue sets in really quickly. It feels more like a lactate threshold workout then a pure cardio workout. I guess it's similar to swimming in that it works these muscles that, as runners, we just don't ever use. I've noticed that since I started doing the rowing and bike workouts, my upper body has gotten a little more developed, and I feel a little more bounce in my step when I'm running fast.

Doing my workout this morning got me thinking about how important music is to runners. I'd wager that the vast majority of distance runners have an iPod or some equivalent to listen to music while they run. I know that, for me, the music is much more than just a distraction from the pain of running. I listen to very heavy, screamy music when I'm working out, and it really jacks me up and gets my adrenaline pumping. There have been more than a few workouts where I was about to quit, and then some song comes on that gives me a big surge of energy.

Tomorrow morning is lactate threshold time. Last week's LT run destroyed me. I'm hoping to have a better showing this time. Once again, the goal will be:

2 miles @ 8:30
2 miles @ 7:14
2 miles @8:30


I start officially training on August 21... only a month left really. I need to work on my diet a little and nail down my training plan. I'm considering adding one day of moderate running to the 3 running workouts I already do... I don't think it will necessarily help my running speed, but it would burn more calories. Either that, or I do my cross-training workouts MUCH harder.

3 comments:

Midwest said...

Do you have a Nike + for your iPod? I love mine beyond reason.

Joey Korenman said...

Nah, I have a Garmin Forerunner so I didn't need the Nike add-on. My little brother has it and raves about it, so I may have to check it out. I hear you get a "power song."

Midwest said...

The Power Song is definitely part of the fun.