Saturday, July 21, 2007

Log #16: Sweaty

I have an amazing talent for sweating... I'm a prolific sweater.

Yesterday I busted out a NASTY 45 minute bike workout. It was probably the hardest cross-training workout I've done yet. Here's what I did:

10 minutes warm-up
4 minutes HARD, 1 minute easy - 6 times
5 minute cooldown


My legs were done, and sweat was just shooting out of me. My shirt and shorts were drenched, and it was great.

Then this morning, I decided to do my long run since tomorrow I'll be playing a rock show. I was going to go for 10 miles @ 8:30 min/mile, but apparantly my pacing is horrible. I managed 9 miles. Here are my splits:

8:04
7:55
8:12
8:08
8:12
8:19
8:34 (mile 7, I finally slow down to the correct pace)
8:44
8:48


Looking at the splits it's REALLY clear what my problem is. I need to work on running the correct pace CONSISTENTLY. Running those first six miles too fast burned me out, and I really started suffering the consequences around mile 8. My goal for the next week is going to be making sure I'm used to running an 8:30 pace. You'd think it'd be easier to run a little slower, but that's just not the case. My natural pace seems to be around an 8:00 mile, and I need to make a conscious effort to slow down and just relax a little more.

Two days off and I'll start my next training week off with the speed workout. I hope this time I do better.

No comments: