Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Log #19: I need a 36 hour day!!!

24 hours is just not enough time. I'm serious. How can anyone be expected to get everything done in such a short amount of time?

First of all, let me talk about my long-run on Saturday. I was going to try for 13 miles @ 8:30. I ended up with 9 miles @ 8:30. Where did those 4 miles go? Well, let me explain:

I woke up at 5:15, got dressed, laced up the shoes, applied the nip protectors, chugged a red bull and ate a granola bar. I strapped on my GPS and went outside. Keep in mind that I live in Boston, and I'm used to cold weather, especially early in the morning. Saturday morning the humidity was nearly 100%, and it was already in the high 70's. The heat was my first problem. The 2nd problem was that the dense cloud cover made my GPS unable to get a lock, so I sat there for 10 minutes waiting for a signal lock that never came, so now my GPS was useless.

I decided I'd wasted enough time, so I started running. About 30 minutes into the run, I was DRENCHED with sweat. I've mentioned my proficiency at sweating before, so it should come as no surprise that running in 100% humidity would make me look like I'd been boiled. I drank as much water as I could, but it wasn't enough, plus I was tired from being up so #%^$# early, and I started fading fast around mile 6. Any runner can attest to how persuasive your mind can be at times like this.

"Come on Joey, just head back. 13 miles are too much, plus you still have to pack. Why not slow down a little and just relax, what's the hurry?"

I managed to keep my pace pretty consistent at least, but I did not hit my distance. By the time I got home I was disgusting, and the shower felt soooooo good. I didn't feel that bad about only getting 9 miles in...

... that is, until I was at the wedding, 6 drinks in and eating the best wedding cake I've ever had. I also, predictably, didn't sleep enough this weekend, which cascaded right into me not getting up this morning for my speed workout. I leave tomorrow for 8 days in Europe with my girlfriend, so I have a feeling it's not going to get any easier for me!!! I need to make a kilometers to miles chart to bring with me.

My plan is to do the speed workout tomorrow morning, and maybe get a cross-train in tonight if I have time. I think this might actually be the craziest my life has ever been, and of course I decide to train for a marathon in the middle of it all!

I also read "Ultramarathon Man" this weekend. It's by Dean Karnazes, a man who routinely runs races that are over 100 miles. The book really did a good job of making me feel like a pansy, hehe. I recommend it... it's always good to get some perspective. Now I feel like 26.2 miles is a pretty average distance.

No comments: