Friday, July 27, 2007

Long Run Math


Tomorrow I will be going for a 13 mile long run. The tricky part is that I also have a 10:30 am plane to catch, so I need to figure out when I need to get up in order to run, clean up, and get to the airport in time. Here's how Long-Run-Math works:

My plane leaves at 10:30
That means I need to be at the airport by 9:30
So I have to leave my house by 9:10
So I should try to be back from the run around 8:15 so I can stretch, shower, eat something, get dressed, etc...

13 miles @ 8:30 pace is about 1 hour, 50 minutes. I have to factor in traffic lights, possible fatigue-induced-stoppage towards the end of the run, and just a general buffer for my run, so I'll add another 20 minutes to that total, for a grand total of 2 hours, 10 minutes

If I'm aiming to get back to my house by 8:15, I should leave my house by 6:00 to be totally safe.

I need 30 minutes to get up and be ready to run, so I'll be getting up at 5:30 am tomorrow morning.

I will go on the record now to say that this sucks... 5:30 am on a Saturday? Why? Well, If I don't do the run tomorrow morning before I fly to Detroit, there is a VERY strong chance that I just won't do a long run this weekend, and then I'll feel like garbage when I'm at my buddy's wedding and after-party.

Wish me luck folks.

No comments: