Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Log #13: Ninja Turtles


Last night I wanted to run 5 miles at around an 8:00 min/mile pace. It was not to be. Instead, I ended up with this:





1 mile @ 8:04
1 mile @ 7:40 (whoops!)
1 mile @ 8:07
.5 miles @ 4:00 after being attacked by ninja turtles


You're probably wondering what a ninja turtle is. Well, it's something that every runner will face sooner or later. Maybe you ate something you shouldn't have, maybe your stomach is a little acidic, maybe you're lactose intolerant and had dairy too close to the run... whatever the cause may be, a ninja turtle is a stomach malfunction that sneaks up on you and before you know it, you are hobbling home trying not to think about how bad you have to go. The "Ninja" part comes from the fact that these events usually sneak up on you, and the "Turtle" part... well I hope I dont' have to explain that part.

Last night's ninja turtle wasn't too bad because I sensed it sneaking up, so I cut my run short just in case. I ended up making it home ok, but in the past I've had REALLY close calls. I still think that my stomach is mad at me for pizza, steak and cheese, beer, and cajun fries that I ate on Saturday. I know that all of that garbage should be gone from my system by now, but I still feel a little gross.

This morning I tried to get up and do my usual speed workout. My legs were a little bit worn out since I had just run at 7:30 the night before, but I figured I needed the punishment. I managed this:

10 minute warm up
1 mile @ 6:39
400m @ 1:40
400m @ 1:30
400m @ 1:40
5 minute cooldown


I just didn't have the lungs today... I felt groggy and weak and just couldn't make my legs keep going. It was just one of those workouts. I made myself do a bunch of situps and pushups when I got home to try and compensate for my shitty performance.

Oh well, runners have bad workouts all the time. It's just part of the process. Even though I sucked today, I know that I got a good workout and I'm back on track a little. Tomorrow I'll cross-train. Hopefully I won't be attacked by any more ninja turtles

1 comment:

Jake B said...

So thats what that is called. Only close calls for me but I didn't know they had a name.