Monday, July 2, 2007

Log #9: Going Long

I did an 8 mile long run yesterday, and felt incredible. There's something about getting outside for an hour on a nice day that just works wonders for your mood. People always talk about the "runner's high," and I have to say it's definitely a real thing. When you sustain a certain level of exertion for a while, your body produces all these wonderful chemicals which leave you feeling relaxed and peaceful. Who needs alcohol or drugs?

I forgot to bring my GPS with me, but I felt like I was running between 8:15-8:30 miles. I made myself run the last half of my run faster than the first half. This is called running a "negative split." It's a good idea to try and do this on long runs because typically when you run a marathon the second half is much slower for people. Training your body to maintain a consistent pace even when it's really tired and cranky will make the marathon experience go a lot smoother.

I also ate like a damn HORSE yesterday. Those long runs burn a ton of calories, and you end up just starving right afterwards. Me and my girl hit up a nice brunch place for some home fries and eggs benedict. Oh yeah!

Today is my day off, which is so nice. Tomorrow is speed day again. Maybe this time I can actually hit all 3 miles at the 6:41 pace.

No comments: