Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Log #25: One of those days...

Today was one of those days.

What I mean is, today was one of those days where all conditions are terrible and point to a shitty run, yet you bust out a new PR. I woke up today, and my body was just SO stiff and sore. The 13 miler on Sunday plus the running around on the beach created some very sore legs. Yesterday I was hobbling around, and this morning I wasn't that much better. I went to the gym with my girlfriend with the intention of cross-training, postponing the speed workout until tomorrow. As soon as I got to the gym, I just felt like a big weeny and decided to run through the soreness.

After stretching for about 10 minutes, I hopped on the treadmill, and ran for 10 minutes at an 8:30 pace. My legs slowly warmed up, and eventually the soreness was almost gone. I took a deep breath and cranked up the speed to 6:40 pace.

This is where it got weird. My breathing was 3 in / 3 out for the entire mile... it actually felt pretty easy. I had to check the treadmill to make sure it was set for the right speed. As I neared the end of the mile, a crazy though entered my head: "What if I just kept running and did the second mile without a break?"

Well, that's what I did. The first lap and a half of the 2nd mile felt pretty easy, and then I started to feel it. The last lap was tough, but it still wasn't kicking my ass the way I thought it should, so I cranked the treadmill up to a 6:30 pace. I ended up running 2 miles in about 13:18... my fastest 2 miles ever by about 40 seconds. I walked for a few minutes, and then cranked the treadmill back up for another half-mile, and then jogged a bit and called it a workout. Here are the stats:

10 minutes @ 8:30 pace
2 miles @ 13:20
3 minutes walking
.5 mile @ 6:40 pace
5 minutes jogging


My ass was sufficiently kicked, and I set a new PR for 2 miles. I have no idea why I was able to run this fast today with my legs feeling sore and my energy levels being so low this morning, yet that is the way running works. Sometimes your body is telling you one thing, but it's doing something totally contradictory. I'm really pumped about today, and I'm looking forward to starting training next week in the best shape I've ever been in at the start of a marathon program.

I'm meeting with my little bro today to discuss training. I might try to get him to write a blog entry or two on here so you guys can hear his thoughts on training for his first marathon. I remember my first one, and I know he's in for some highs and lows like he's never experienced.

Onward to Vegas!!!

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Joey, you saw the challenge and you met it. Way nice PR--40 seconds. Did I see smoke coming from that treadmill? Wow! It's a great sign going into your official training schedule. Now Good luck.