Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Log #27: And So It Begins!!!


Well folks, today was workout #1 of my Vegas program. I know that the title of this post is "Log #27," but I feel like all those workouts were just warm-ups for the main event. I'm really excited about this maratahon, and I feel like I'm in the best running shape I've ever been in. I've trained for 6 marathons, yet I've never felt as good about my running as I do right now. I credit the difference to the speed workouts and LT workouts I've been doing. The intensity of my workouts has been ridiculous, but the cross-training has helped me avoid injury and over-training to this point.

Anyway, I did my speed workout today. I did it on the track near my house, which is possibly the worst track in Boston. It's made up of some grayish-brown gravel, it's completely lumpy and uneven, and the best part is that it is absolutely covered in goose shit. I mean it... every foot of that track has bird-turd on it, and I have to do this crazy dance to avoid stepping in it. I've also been redoing the wood floors in my new apartment all weekend, so I have been burning the candle at both ends for the past few days. The conditions were less than ideal.

BUT..... I did it. Here were my splits:

10 minute warmup
1600m @ 6:31
1600m @ 6:37
1600m @ 6:45


The first round was fine, as usual. The second round sucked sooooooo bad. By the third lap I thought I might throw up. I was seeing spots and flashes and really feeling like I was on some serious drugs. I decided that if I puked or passed out, that would be preferable to stopping, so I just made my legs move. When I finished my last lap, I was a mess. I had familiar thoughts of, "There is absolutely no f----ing way I will do one more mile that fast." And then.... weirdness. The third round was a whole lot easier than the second round, and I actually felt kinda good after it. How strange is that? This has happened to me before, too. I wish I could explain why the third mile is easier than the second.

So, my first real workout was a success, and now it's time to go work on the apartment some more. I'm feeling awesome, my legs feel fresh, and I think that the 3:30 marathon might just be my bitch this time.

My little brother also did his first workout today. How did he do? Well, I will not steal his thunder by telling you. He has started his own blog right here.

Run Fasterest

He is way funnier than me, so I think you guys will enjoy it. Go little bro!!!

No comments: