Monday, August 27, 2007

Log #30: Sweatiest... Run... Ever.


Yesterday was my first long run of this marvelous training program. It was also about 88 degrees with 70% humidity. I knew I was in trouble after the second mile when the sweat was literally shooting out of my face. I decided to make the run a mental game. How long could I keep my legs moving without passing out?

I knew I'd be slower than I wanted, but having run in all kinds of weather, I knew I shouldn't push it. I think the best weather o run in is slightly cold weather with a breeze. After 10 minutes of running, I'm usually sweating regardless of how cold it is, so I'd rather have a nice breeze than blazing sun. My girlfriend, the best training partner EVER, roller-bladed alongside me with a CamelPak full of water.

Here are the splits, although I took a lot of breaks to cool down and drink water, so even these times are a little fast.

8:37
8:23
8:30
8:43
8:34
8:53
8:43
8:45
8:32
8:45
9:06
9:20
9:50


I just DIED at the end of the run. Ugh...

I'll be in London next weekend for my 15-miler, so I'm sure it will be cooler.

On the run, I was coming up on mile 8, and I saw my brother running the opposite way towards me. He was looking very strong. I think I might have some competition here!

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Sweat shooting out of your face - beautiful visual and on target with these hot sweaty runs. I am so jealous of your pace - great run!
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com